The National Trust for Jersey are looking to appoint a volunteer planter to assist in the planting of bare root hedging and tree whips (45-60 cm) on designated field boundaries working eastwards between the Zoo and Rozel Manor/Fliquet.
- Once planted the whips will be fitted with spiral guards or trees shelters as appropriate
- The majority of the 5,000 holes to plant the whips have been dug to allow them to be slot planted. Spiral protection has to be fitted to a lot of the hedging that has already been planted and this type of work is less arduous and would suit those who are not so physically strong
- There is the potential of work in the summer as well, maintaining the planting in order to control competing vegetation.
The appointee will be responsible to Conrad Evans – Project Coordinator or National Trust Supervisor in his absence. The appointee will need to be:
- Own transport to site and meeting at designated working site which will vary as progress is made
- You will need to wear appropriate clothing, gloves and footwear and provide food and drink for your own welfare
- Looking after the tools, plants and materials that will be provided
- Complying with the risk assessment that will be given to all volunteers.
- Working with minimal supervision from time to time taking care of your own health and safety in line with the likely working conditions to be expected
- Be respectful of the land, environment and any livestock encountered
- Deal politely with any public interest
- To have the ability to work as part of a team to a high standard.
- Being physically fit and able is a vital condition of the task
- Basic gardening, horticulture or labouring
- Ability to work under own initiative having been given initial instruction.
- Monday to Friday between 0830 and 1530
- Minimum of 4 hours per session to ensure efficiency and a reasonable level of production.
Contact and any necessary medical details will be required but ALL information held with be kept in the strictest confidence.
If you are interested please contact Conrad Evans
Tel: 07797 903895 / email: Conrad.Evans@nationaltrust.je
The National Trust for Jersey, The Elms, La Chève Rue, St Mary JE3 3EN